1.24.2013

Soba Noodle Salad


So, I tried this new recipe last night, and I loved it so much that I wanted to share it ASAP. It's really more of a summer dish (being as it's cold and all), but some how, in my mind (I'm thinking summer, summer, summer), this past week cold food just sounded good. Enter spring rolls, vegan sushi, and this here salad. And, um, I love Asian fusion food? The best thing about this dish (besides the flavor explosion) is that it's pretty easy to make. I'm going to cut to the chase.

Makes about 4- 1.5 cup servings.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup rice vinegar (no substitutes here, it has to be rice vinegar)
1/6 cup sugar or agave
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 large garlic cloves, minced
1 lime, zest and juice
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
8oz package soba noodles
1 bell pepper, for this I highly recommend orange (the flavors are very different, if you didn't know)
1 cup broccoli florets
1 cup red cabbage, thinly sliced or shredded
1/2 cup chopped basil
1 tablespoon chopped mint

Suggestions from experience: Add some ginger juice, and peanuts.

1. Boil the soba noodles according to package instructions, drain, rinse in cold water, and set aside in a large bowl.
2. Combine vinegar, sugar, and salt in a small sauce pan. Heat on medium heat until the sugar is dissolved. Once hot add the minced garlic, then remove from heat. Allow to cool, then add the lime zest and juice, and sesame oil.
3. Poor the prepared dressing over the noodles and toss.
4. Add the fresh basil and mint, and then the vegetables.
5. Place in refrigerator to cool and marinate, at least 1 hour. All day or overnight is even better!

This would be good with so many variations. I suggest trying it out and experimenting. If you do, let me know what you used! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...