1.24.2013

No 'Poo for this 'Do

I tried really hard to get a good picture of the whole head of hair, but had difficulties with focus using a tripod on the bathroom counter. Sorry. :( Hubs will help with the next update.

Since it's still January, I think it's acceptable to talk about trying new things, or goals to try new things, whatever. One of my goals for this year is greener cleaning. Both hygienically and around the house. So far I've really only started on the hygienic part of that. The week of Christmas I felt compelled to try no 'pooing for the second time, with the goal of sticking with it until my birthday in mid February. In my humble opinion Winter is a great time to try it out because if your hair goes through the nasty, over-greasy phase, you can just put a hat on it (even better a hat with a bird, 'cuz, you know).

So, thus far I am not swayed one way or the other. I've heard that it can take a good 8 weeks for your hair to re-adjust and be gorgeous. I'm waiting it out. I have had some kinda greasy days, but nothing too terrible. I think a lot of the major issues with no 'pooing are user error. That was the problem the first time I tried it anyways. Right now the roots and top half look pretty shiny and healthy, and the ends are a tad dry and tangly. Tangling and hair breakage/loss have been my biggest concerns this time around. I've probably experienced more of those things then your average shampoo-less gal though because my hair was not healthy to begin with. I have about 3 inches maybe more of half dead hair going on. For a week or more I had to brush my hair 5-8 times a day with monster rats. And my brush was full of hair every few days. Like post-natal hair loss amounts! But that has subsided and I'm back to brushing my hair 2-3 times a day. I've been dealing with all of the woes pretty well and I'm darned proud to say it too. I have a really hard time sticking with things, so this is a good test for me.

Good things I've notice as of 1.24.13 (one month from starting):

  • I can now wash it every 3 days instead of every other day without looking like a grease ball.
  • I have a nice lightly wavy natural texture. Before baby it was stick straight, then hormones gave it a few random, poorly placed wave/kinks.
  • It's really shiny!
  • I haven't had any smell issues like some people do. It smell like clean hair minus the artificial fragrances.


Here's how I do it, at the very end of my shower (as it's time consuming):
  • Fill a 16 oz. bottle with a lid with 2 tablespoons of baking soda and the rest with warm water.
  • Fill a 8 oz. bottle with lid with 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar and the rest with "" water.
  • Wet hair.
  • Pour baking soda solution on a little at a time, focusing on roots, especially at the front, sides, and back/bottom (you don't need to put it on the ends, it will run through as you rinse).
  • Work that in well and massage scalp.
  • Rinse out very thoroughly. Don't expect your hair to feel squeaky.
  • Saturate hair with vinegar solution, you'll want to intentionally put some on the ends.
  • Work it in like the baking soda solution.
  • Rinse until it feels like there hasn't been anything in your hair, and rinse again.
  • Cold rinse to seal the cuticle.
  • Allow to air dry before brushing. 
I find that the cold rinse and allowing to air dry before brushing are of vital importance, as my hair condition drastically improved after incorporating those steps. Though, I realize some people actually have lives and can't spend this amount of time just waiting for their hair to be ready to do. The improvement could also just be because my hair is finally regulating. *Shrug*

Anyways, it's a work in progress and I'll let you all know how it has gone again around February 15th. 

Side note: I'm also *trying* to grow out my bangs because I feel not having them would make my life easier. Another test in patience. We'll see how it goes. 

2 comments:

  1. Good to know about the air drying!

    I've been no 'pooing for almost three months now, and in the past few weeks I've started to hate the condition of my hair - super, super dry! But I also know I really need a haircut, so I'm waiting until I get the gross ends cut off before I gauge whether I'm going to continue or not.

    M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing all of this. You've inspired me to try again once I'm through with my current shampoo. I use a pretty good option as far as those things go, but would be even happier to get back to something even more natural.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...