4.18.2013

Project Lanterns


Since I don't at all claim to be a DIY blogger (this is honestly the second project I've done all year), I don't feel too bad about forgetting to take the appropriate pictures for this post. So more than instructional, this just serves to show a little bit of the process and result. Doing a project like this is really case sensitive because measurements will be different, and you can use all kinds of different materials.

These paper lanterns have been around a long while waiting to be repurposed. I fell in love with them and bought them for my someday wedding before David and I even met (so over 4 years ago). We used them for decor at our little back yard wedding and then I became sentimentally attached to them, so I saved them.

Originally I planned to hang them directly from the ceiling at various lengths, and using ribbon, but I couldn't find ribbon I loved and without a ladder it would have been too hard to execute. So I decided that I would drape/swoop them instead, and remembered that I had this vintage blue sheet that I got at Goodwill months and months ago. 




These are to show how I attached the fabric so that it wouldn't be able to move or shift with time and get all wonky. 




I tied all of the lanterns in a string by the fabric strips using a basic knot, I wasn't seeking perfection, I like quirk. Then I added bows to the tops of all of the lanterns.



I wasn't patient enough to measure the fabric pieces in proportion to the swoop in front of the chosen wall, so I had to do some improvising, adding a piece of fabric to the center lantern and attaching it at the ceiling so that Lorelei couldn't reach it standing in her bed. The single swoop looked cuter, but I wasn't going to risk having her rip any more of them like the one you can already see in the last picture.   The last picture that does the project no justice, because I am truly terrible at interior design shots apparently. Haha.

Note: I wish I had outtakes of this to share with you! In order to hang the strung lanterns I moved all of her furnishings out of the way, brought our table in her room, and climbed on that to get it done. I'm crazy like that, or resourceful...

4 comments:

  1. I love this idea! I've always wanted to have hanging lanterns in my home! also love the layout of this blog! so glad i stumbled across your page!

    chandler

    www.broadspectrums.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it, I'm glad to have you here! :) I never thought I would decorate with paper lanterns, but I like the whimsy for my daughter's room.

      Delete
  2. I like the double swoop. :)

    xx sondra
    abhayayoga.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...