4.07.2013

Sinful Vegan Baked Donuts


I know you wanted another donut recipe...just me?! Yeah, I didn't think you would mind. I call these ones sinful because unlike my previous recipe they are full of Earth Balance and sugar. But these babies are freaking delicious! I may or may not have wanted to eat the entire dozen yesterday while we sat on our butts watching Quantum of Solace and Skyfall (the only thing stopping me was the gorgeous Bond girls prancing around with their beautiful figures).

This recipe is essentially the recipe for baked donuts in awesome vegan recipe book Vegan Yum Yum. I checked it out from the library, but I would seriously buy the crap out of it. I would eat every recipe in it, minus the crunchy kale one. Am I the only person, especially vegan, who dislikes kale (I ask as I drool over these donuts)? Alright, enough of my antics...

*You will need a donut pan for this recipe. It may or may not be a sound investment. ;)

Ingredients:
2 cups all purpose flour ( I used whole wheat pastry flour on this batch, they rock either way)
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 pinch cinnamon (little pinch, unless you just love cinnamon)
1 cup soy milk (if you're soy free other's will work, just add slowly as the consistency varies)
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
8(!) tablespoons Earth Balance margarine
Egg substitute for two eggs ( I always use Bob's Red Mill Egg Replacer Powder)

Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons soy milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon Earth Balance

Garnish:
1 cup untoasted, unsweeted coconut flakes

Instructions:
1. Preheat your oven to 350ºF.
2. In a mixer or large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and mix thoroughly.
3. Measure your soy milk and whisk in the vinegar, set aside to curdle.
4. In the microwave (about 30 seconds), or in a saucepan on the stove top, heat the margarine, vanilla, and egg substitute until melted and warm but not hot to the touch.
5. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well. There shouldn't be any lumps and it should be the consistency of a thick batter, or a really soft dough.
6. Grease the donut pan and spoon in batter (about 3 heaping tablespoons per donut) not quite to the tops of the donut molds. Wipe any batter off the sides and center to keep them pretty.
7. Bake for 15 minutes.
8. Let set long enough for the donuts to just pop out and put them on a cooling rack. Wait until they are completely cooled to glaze.
9. Make the glaze whisking all of the ingredients together until smooth. You can color it or not...
10. Go straight from the glaze to the coconut (the glaze will be dripping everywhere, careful) and then onto another cooling rack over a plate to catch the drippings.
11. Try not to eat them all yourself.

Yields 12 donuts.

All photos courtesy of Photography by David L. Clark

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. They are! I made a dozen yesterday, and now there are only two left. And that's shocking really...

      Delete
  2. They make donut pans? Ohmalord.

    Also: hate kale. SO MUCH.

    M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do, I thought it was crazy too, but pretty awesome! We've tried kale several ways and just, no! I would rather eat handfuls of plain uncooked spinach than eat kale in any form. Haha.

      Delete
  3. I've never made donuts, but this is really tempting me to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so good, but so baaaad! I make them at least twice a month now, and it kinda makes me wish I never opened Pandora's box, or the donut box...but it's fun and tasty, and my family loves it so I keep torturing myself. ;P

      Delete
  4. Awesome! David shared the link for these deliciousness in #FoodPhotography community in G+ and I had to check them out! Awesome blog and recipes!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...