6.07.2012

From Scratch: Alfredo Sauce

At our house there is very, very little food consumed that is not homemade. This is in part because it's surprisingly a lot more cost effective. Also, we try to avoid filling up on additives. Making things from scratch sounds a little scary at first, especially with an ill equipped kitchen like I have, but let me assure you it's easy, easy, easy! It requires a little more planning, but it's more rewarding to know you made it yourself, and usually way more delicious than pre-packaged alternatives.

This recipe has now been tested twice, so I know it's good before giving it up. It's much easier to make than I thought it would be, and I developed it all on my little lonesome.

For the purpose of ease, I would recommend setting out everything you will use before you get started.


1 head of roasted garlic
5 tbsp of butter
2 cups heavy cream
3 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
2 tbsp Greek yogurt
1/8 cup flour
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
Salt and Pepper to taste
Meat and vegetables of choice
Pasta of choice


Here we go! Roast your garlic. I do this by taking off a good portion of the skin and chopping the top off the head, then place it in the oven at 450º for aout 10 minutes. While it's roasting prep/chop any veggies or meat you'll be adding in.

Once the garlic is done (it will be fragrant and easily mashed) peel all of the skin off and place it in a heated pan over low-med (3-4) heat with the butter. Mash the garlic up really well as it simmers in the butter. This should only take 1-2 minutes.

Next add in the cream and mozzarella. Stir occasionally until the cheese is melted completely, it should take 5-7 minutes. Now you can add the Greek yogurt and stir it in well.

While the cheese is melting is a good time to sauté up any veggies you'll add, and boil your pasta.

Sprinkle the flour evenly over the top and stir it in completely, it serves the purpose of keeping the cheese from being too stringy.

Once it's all well combined add the lemon juice and stir it in. Now you can taste it and add salt and pepper as you desire!

Serve the sauce on your desired pasta, with whatever else you like in it. Enjoy it with people who appreciate your effort and skill!











3 comments:

  1. I would grate my own cheese either on a box grater or w/ a food processor. (More cost effective)

    I also pre-cook my flour to get a more nutty flavor. I keep it in the fridge or freezer. It only takes a few minutes and tastes great. I keep 3 levels (darknesses) of cooked flour for gravies, fish sauces (or Alfredo) etc. depending on the darkness and depth of flavor I want from the sauce.

    With those 2 adjustments, this looks like a recipe I will try :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normally I would grate my own cheese too, this 2 lb bag I had was just the same cost as a 2lb block when I bought it. :) Thanks for the flour sugggestion. I've never even heard or thought of doing that, but I'll give it a try sometime. If I could afford it I would add fresh parmesan too for more flavor, but for not using it this is pretty good sauce.

      Delete
  2. mmm, alfredo sauce from scratch is one of my favorites! you're right, it really is worth it to make it that way :) x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...