2.11.2013

Let's Play Shall We? Liebster Blog Award



Megan over at Live Well and Breathe tagged me to participate in this Liebster Blog Award thing (Liebster means dearest in German) at just the right time! It seems that if you're awarded it, in order to "accept it" you just follow the rules. There are no judges or pats on the back, it's just a fun thing to do with other bloggers. I have been having a hard time thinking of things to blog about lately, and not really taking any pictures so maybe this will serve as some mojo to get the ball rolling.

Here is what it is/the rules:

1. Post 11 things about yourself.
2. Answer the questions set by the person who tagged you, and create 11 questions for those you tag.
3. Tag 11 bloggers with less than 200 followers, and then go let them know you've done so.
4. No Tag Backs!!!

11 Facts About Me

1. I am completely codependent on my husband and vice-versa. We have this theory that we share the same brain, as in we would literally each only have half of one if we weren't together. We often think exactly the same thing at the same time (this even happens with completely random, seemingly irrelevant things), and we often have to remember things for the other person. It's pretty weird, creepy, awesome, and more weird.
2. I consider myself a free spirit because I hate the idea of being boxed in, in my beliefs, my style, how people see me, and my choices. Since I am ever changing and evolving, I don't want anyone to think that I am one dimensional. I don't believe in getting comfortable being one way when things that I learn throughout my life will challenge and inspire me to change.
3. I never really thought I would have kids before being 26 or having an education, until when I was 19 and I found out I had a uterus deformity that could make having them very difficult. Then I was all, "I just want a baby, and my life will be complete." Then I got married, and I got pregnant with a sticky baby on the first try!
4. Music is like my heartbeat, seriously, it has the power to move me, to inspire me, to make me think, to make me feel. I told my husband a couple weeks ago that I felt like the connection I feel to music with strings instruments particularly had something to do with the similarity of the fibers in the strings and muscles, and that when I heard the strings being played I felt it in my muscles and it made me sway and move involuntarily.
5. I really like to work out, but I don't do it. I have time management issues, and motivation issues. I know that I enjoy a good workout, and the after effects but I still struggle to make myself make time to do it...yeah, I'm a bit odd.
6. I am a little bit obsessive compulsive, in weird ways that aren't really important (as in mostly aesthetic). It used to be a huge issue, and cause major depression, but being a mom and living with other people has really helped me battle it.
7. My grandma gave me a guitar for my 16th birthday (has it really been 7 years?!) and I still can't play anything on it. I learned a song once...and then forgot it. It was "Fools in Love" by Inara George.
8. I like naps... I get my best sleep between 8 and 10:30am, but get up with my hubby to make breakfast every morning so I sometimes go back to sleep once he goes to work.
9. I'm a homebody. I would rather hang out at home reading, watching movies, or cooking than most other things.
10. I love the rain. I might be a little bit of a fish because when it rains I feel like I can breathe!
11. I am content. I feel like my life is pretty good and easy, for now. ;)

11 Answers

1. What is your favorite book?

Truth be told: I don't read as much as I'd like too (something along the same lines as my time management issues with working out). I used to read a lot though, so I do have some favorites. Two that stand out as favorites are The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger and Pride and Prejudice by (duh) Jane Austen. I've read both at least twice that I can recall. You know you love it if you read it more than once. I love both because I'm a hopeless romantic, and because of the odd ways that love manifests itself in both books. Secret: I read Pride and Prejudice with British accents in my head, and I'm in love with Mr. Darcy. :)

2. What is your favorite way to relax?

So I mentioned above that I'm a homebody, but to really, REALLY relax I like to get out of the house. Taking a walk outside, especially with David (and maybe without our short attention spanned sidekick) always helps me clear my head and breathe happy. Also sitting at a coffee shop with good ambience and a warm drink, with a window to look out (because I like to people watch, especially with David). If I'm in a coffee shop that is cheesy or too cluttered I can't help but pick it apart and it's hard to relax with my head rolling like that. The reason getting out of the house helps so much for me is that when I'm at home I tend to stress about what needs to be done, or what I'm not getting done. Pretty counterproductive to the whole relaxing thing...

3. What is your best advice?

I would be lying if I said I didn't like to give advice, because I feel like for a young person I have a lot of wisdom to share. I may not have lived as crazy of a life, or as full of a life as some people of nearly 23 years, but I have lived a life full of experiences to learn from. That, and I'm a big sister to two other girls, and my young parents main confidant (read: I've been a voice of reason most of my life). I won't give advice on mothering, because I think parenting is way to personal a thing to tell others how they should/could do it. And obviously relationship dynamics vary too much for me to say I know anything about how to make yours happy. But...some advice that I've been given, and that I learn more about on my own all the time is to BE PRESENT, to live in the now. Nothing will make you feel more at peace with your life than learning to appreciate your current situation. It's really freeing to not live in regret of things from your past or to worry or dream about what is in your future. If you can just take each breath, each step, and each day as it is you will learn what is important to you, and what is not. I can't stress enough how much it will change your life if you can do this. Though, I can't tell you how to achieve the mentality. You just have to work at it. ;)

4. What's one thing about yourself you like?

Probably the best thing about me (in my maybe not so humble opinion) is a two parts to a whole sort of thing. One being that I have a good sense of humor. I have learned that a good way to make the best of what your dealt in life is to have a good laugh over it, even if it takes a little while to actually seem funny. And two being that I don't take myself too seriously. That wasn't always true, but I think that now (mostly because David really enjoys picking on me) if myself or someone else can chuckle at my expense then that's okay. Both of these traits help me put my whole self out in the open because I'm not afraid to be laughed at as long as I'm being me.

5. What's the last thing you did that you think back to fondly?

Hmm...I'm fond of so much of my life lately that I'm having a hard time remembering the last specific thing. Last Friday we took Lorelei to the park and she insisted that I climb all over the playground with her and slide down all the slides saying, "Come on Mommy". One head bonk (on my behalf) and a super content kiddo later, I'll say that's the last thing I did that I think back fondly of. Or maybe it was waking up cuddling her this morning... It's the little things.

6. What's one thing you're determined to learn?

There are a million things I'd love to be at least proficient at: speaking French, playing guitar, latte art, knitting/crocheting, making French macaroons (but they aren't vegan), folding fitted sheets, among others...but I think what would really improve my life and make me feel awesome would be to learn how to keep a clean house! Advice anyone???

7. What's the thing you're best at making?

Well, before we went vegan I was beyond proud and highly complimented on my cheesecakes. In fact, they might be what I miss most being vegan.

8. What's your favorite place to be?

Aside from home (which let's just clearly define as any place I can cook, lounge, and be with my family), I generally like being outside somewhere that feels in touch with nature. Where I can marvel at things that man didn't have a hand in. Like near the ocean, in the woods surrounded by hundreds of years old trees, a river in the summer that smells sweet like blackberries, at the foot of a mountain... any natural wonder or environment found in the Pacific Northwest really.

9. What's something big you're planning to do this year?

An anniversary trip! David and I are planning on spending two very full days and one night in Portland sans child for our 3 year anniversary in May. We're both so giddy over it, we've already basically mapped out everything we'll be doing, right down to the snacks! This is a huge deal for us for a couple of reasons. One being that we have never done anything without Lorelei. That means we haven't been on a measly date even in 2 years! Two being that Portland is where we see ourselves settling in, starting our business, and eventually hopefully building our dream house. I told David if we ever invited anything else into our love triangle it would be Portland. Yeah, we love it.

10. What's the first thing you do when you wake up?

It goes something like this:

  • Resist the alarm.
  • Hope that cuddling Lorelei will magically make the fact that it's time to get up go away.
  • Finally get up because I really have to pee after several hours of being kicked in the bladder.
  • Start water boiling for farina or oatmeal.
  • Sit on the couch in a blanket with my iPhone checking Facebook and IG.
  • Finish making what Lorelei calls "breaksas soup".
  • Taste my coffee that David makes in the Chemex.
  • Have breakfast together.
  • Put David's hair in a ponytail for work.
  • Try to figure out what I might do with the rest of my day.
  • Reheat my coffee at least once...

11. What's the last dream you had that you remember?

Last night I had a dream that I went back to work, in retail, at Macy's where I worked before. I was working an evening shift and at closing my coworker told me that I had to stay because we were reopening for a special all night sale. I was really upset because I wanted to get home to my family. I spent a good amount of time running around stressing out and not really working. My mom and youngest sister showed up with my ex and they were trying to get me to leave with them, and I called my ex something weird/mean/hilarious in typical fashion that I can't remember and they left. Then I ran to the bathroom to vomit (which I was afraid meant I was pregnant) and ran into one of my school friends, Amy (who I'm tagging BTW), who offered to give me a ride home. That was it...That was mellow in it's weirdness, you should hear about some of my wilder dreams!

So that is my autobiography synopsized. Sorry for being so long-winded. 

Here are my questions:

  1. If you could have coffee with ANYONE who would it be and why?
  2. Tell me about one defining moment in your life?
  3. Why do you blog?
  4. If you could only listen to one artist/band for the rest of your life who would it be?
  5. What is your favorite food?
  6. If you had to come up with a unique tradition for you/your family what would it be?
  7. Tell me something that makes you unique?
  8. What poem or quote would you say applies most to your life?
  9. If you were a coffeeshop drink you would be a?
  10. What is your most treasured possession or memory?
  11. You find a $100 bill on the sidewalk, what do you do?
I am tagging:

8 comments:

  1. Isn't it so weird when you have dreams about people you hardly ever see?? I'm pretty sure I had one with you within the last month or so, but I honestly couldn't tell you what it was about!

    Also, The Time Traveler's Wife is my favorite too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so funny! Maybe it's because since we follow each other's blogs our lives are more relevant to the other than before. Haha.

      Delete
  2. I love your answers! I, too, struggle trying to disengage myself from what needs to be done around the house. I think that's why I enjoy baths so much as a form of relaxation (so long as I'm not too fixated on whether the bathroom needs cleaning).

    Your advice is so beautiful and true. Very nearly made me cry with it's trueness.

    Ah, Portland. Hubs and I loved it so much. We're Canadian, so actually moving there would surely be a challenge - but I'm itching to go back. Such creative energy flowing there.

    M.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fun to read your answers. I don't know that I'll have time to respond as my computer time is very limited these days, but I do appreciate the tag and will answer if I do get the chance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for awarding me. I feel so special. It will be a little bit before I post mine. It's alot to think about!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like you, I'm a homebody who loves to read (and doesn't do it often enough)! I also like to work out but never do it! Oh, and I love Mr. Darcy too. ;) Thanks so much for tagging me on the award. I really appreciate you thinking of my blog. I'm sorry I'm just getting back to you. I have not been keeping up with my comments as well lately. Have a fabulous weekend! Joann

    http://www.womaninreallife.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your morning routine! Mine is sleep in til as late as I possibly can, put on make-up, scrape my hair back, grab a muffin and go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did it!

    http://www.cinnamongirlofmaine.com/2013/02/loose-ends-radio-silence.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...